29 before 30 illustrations

Tuesday, May 23, 2017


I'm trying to make more illustrations and to get better at making digital illustrations, so for my 29 before 30 challenge (something I'm covering mainly on my other blog) I decided I would make at least one illustration every quarter. We're already in quarter two, so I'm going to show you the first two illustrations.

Dit jaar probeer ik om meer illustraties te maken. Eén van de manieren waarop ik dat probeer is om per kwartaal van mijn 29 before 30 challenge (waarover ik vooral op mijn andere blog schrijf) een nieuwe illustratie te maken voor de 29 before 30 update posts. Ondertussen is het tweede kwartaal al begonnen, dus kan ik de eerste twee illustraties tonen!


The first illustration was for the first quarter of this year, starting on January 24th (my birthday ;) ), so I went with a wintery theme. After I made a quick, messy sketch, I started digitizing the illustration in Adobe Illustrator. I'd never done something in this style, but it was fun figuring things out.

Het eerste kwartaal begon op 24 januari (mijn verjaardag!) en toen was het nog volop winter. Ik koos dus voor een winters thema voor mijn eerste illustratie. Ik maakte eerst een snelle schets op papier en gebruikte deze als basis voor mijn digitale illustratie in Adobe Illustrator. Ik had nog nooit iets digitaals gemaakt in deze stijl of werkwijze, dus dat was tof om uit te vissen (al zit ik dan ook altijd te vloeken als de meest doorwinterde zeelui, maar dat is bij mij het teken dat ik mij ook keihard aan het vastbijten ben in iets).


The second quarter started at the end of April and spring was in the air already, so it was obvious what the theme of this illustration was going to be. I really like the outcome of this one, it really does feel like spring to me. The process was pretty much the same as for the first illustration, but I did use more references for the flowers etc. I added some more random details compared to the first one and tried adding some shadow.

Next time I might try some more shadowing and maybe some texture? I'm also thinking of trying to do some illustrations in Photoshop, which I always stayed away from. But I'm up for the the challenge.

Aargh, I'm so curious to see the set of four illustrations side by side at the end of the year, I think it'll be awesome to see the progress in them! What do you think about my first steps in digital illustration?

Aan het einde van april begon het tweede kwartaal van mijn challenge en met de ontluiken van de blaadjes moest ik opnieuw niet ver zoeken naar inspiratie. Misschien ligt het aan de kersenbloesem blaadjes (ik ♥ kersenbloesems) maar ik ben best tevreden met deze illustratie. En dat gebeurd niet vaak. Mijn werkwijze was ongeveer hetzelfde van bij de eerste illustratie, maar ik gebruikte meer foto referenties. Ik stak er ook wat meer details in en probeerde ook wat meer schaduw te gebruiken.

Voor mijn volgende illustraties is dat iets waar ik zeker meer op wil werken, dat schaduwen, want afgedrukt zien mijn schaduwen er een beetje vreemd uit. Ik wil ook illustraties beginnen maken in Photohop (iep!), iets wat ik nog nooit echt een kans gegeven heb. Ik heb alleszins zin in die uitdaging!


Oew, ik kijk zo hard uit naar het einde van mijn challenge, zodat ik alle illustraties van deze reeks naast elkaar kan leggen. Ik denk dat dat er goed gaat uitzien! En hopelijk kan ik dan ook echt vooruitgang zien. Vinden jullie mijn eerste stappen in digitale illustraties geslaagd?

You Might Also Like

1 reactions

  1. Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your blog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. Cheers! professional photography lighting equipment

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive